Established around Nine Mile Pond in 1884, Belleview is one of the older communities in Marion County. With the Cross Florida Greenway hugging its northern boundary, and the famed Santos Trails for mountain bikers, it’s a destination for outdoor recreation. It’s also a Florida Trail Gateway Community, within walking distance of the Florida Trail.
Trails and Parks near Belleview
- Biking Santos - Biking the Santos Trails for the first time this fall, I opted to leave my vintage Cannondale at home and try a rental bike for my first spin through these famed off-road trails south of Ocala.
- Carney Island Conservation Area - At Carney Island, the breeze carries the scent of orange blossoms from some of the northernmost remaining commercial groves in Florida. Lake Weir is a palatable presence, even though the trails stick to the oak hammocks
- Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway - A prime destination for backpacking and day hiking near Ocala, the Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway stretches 30 miles between Dunnellon and Silver Springs.
- Florida Trail, Land Bridge TH to Santos - Between the Land Bridge Trailhead and Santos, the 7-mile linear section of the Florida Trail winds its way around horse farms to meander through stands of oaks and pines.
- Florida Trail, Santos to Baseline - A 4.5-mile section of the Florida Trail between Belleview and Silver Springs Shores, the Santos to Baseline section on the Cross Florida Greenway is a linear woodland in suburbia.
- Florida Trail, SW 49th to Land Bridge TH - Enjoy rough and rugged terrain topped with a fluffy pine forest on this segment of the Florida Trail on the Cross Florida Greenway, which includes the Land Bridge over I-75.
- Ocklawaha Prairie Restoration Area - At Ocklawaha Prairie, east of Lake Weir and south of Marshall Swamp, trails lead to some of the best birding in the region from levees along the extensive marshes of the river basin.
- Santos Trails - With 30 miles of twisting, winding off-road bicycle trails that dip into old limestone pits, the Santos Trails, south of Ocala, are a mecca for cyclists who enjoy riding through the woods.
- Sunnyhill Levee Trail - At Sunnyhill Restoration Area, the Levee Trail provides a scenic stroll atop a levee paralleling both the Ocklawaha River channel and its vast marshes favored by wading birds.