A suburb of Tampa created during the huge influx of residents that came along with two major air bases during World War II, Brandon provides a gateway to rural east Hillsborough County and its conservation areas along the Alafia River and Manatee River basins.
Trails and Parks near Brandon
- Alafia River State Park - One of the few saving graces of former phosphate mines is that they provide awesome air for mountain bikers in Florida, and Alafia River State Park is one of the rare places where you can launch on a Florida downhill.
- Alderman’s Ford Nature Preserve - Alderman's Ford Nature Preserve offers a surprising treat for a Central Florida hike: whitewater, showcasing the Alafia River churning as it winds through a deeply eroded channel
- Alderman’s Ford Park - An easy loop at Alderman’s Ford Park, the Nature Trail slips behind the nature center for a walk in under ancient trees along the river’s floodplain corridor
- E.G. Simmons Park - E.G. Simmons Park in Ruskin offers a campground along with its beaches and mazy mangrove-lined waterways for paddlers and anglers along Tampa Bay.
- Little Manatee River Hiking Trail - At Little Manatee River State Park, experience nearly a dozen different habitats along your choice of loops on one of Central Florida’s most interesting day hikes
- Little Manatee River State Park - With sandy shores around every bend and a canopy of trees overhead, Little Manatee River State Park provides a place for a pretty paddling trip for families, with an outfitter located near the US 301 bridge.