An oceanfront community in Walton County, Destin has a string of natural lands protecting some of the world’s rarest lakes, the Coastal Dune Lakes. They are freshwater bodies that flush out to the sea sporadically. Large bays punctuate this coast, providing even more shoreline for hiking.
Nearby: DeFuniak Springs, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, Panama City Beach
Trails and Parks near Destin
- Eden Gardens State Park - At Eden Gardens State Park, lush cultivated gardens surround the historic Wesley House, a restored antebellum plantation home built by timber baron William Henry Wesley in 1897.
- Florida Trail, Eglin - 98.2 miles. Florida’s largest military reservation was once the Choctawhatchee National Forest, and thanks to more than a century of conservation, the Eglin section includes vast stands of old-growth forests and steephead ravines. Eglin East has a continuous long east-west segment of trail, while Eglin West offers a shorter segment through the sandhills near East Bay.
- Grayton Beach Nature Trails - At Grayton Beach State Park, the nature trail system introduces you to a coastal dune lake and its surrounding habitats, as well as showcasing the beauty of the beach
- Grayton Beach State Park - Grayton Beach State Park protects one in a chain of rare coastal dune lakes with freshwater mere yards from the Gulf of Mexico. Nature trails introduce you to the rugged barrier island dunes and the pine flatwoods around the lake.
- Henderson Beach Nature Trail - Showcasing a ridge of dunes in Destin, the nature trail at Henderson Beach State Park leads you through bright sands in coastal scrub and maritime forest.
- Henderson Beach State Park - There's a reason this is called the Emerald Coast, and you'll know why as soon as the sparkling waters of the Gulf of Mexico catch your eye. They make a strong contrast to the sugar-white strand and tall dunes protected by Henderson Beach State Park.
- Rocky Bayou Hiking Trails - Hugging the shoreline of Rocky Bayou, an important aquatic preserve, Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park near Niceville has one of the prettiest campgrounds in the Florida State Park system.
- Topsail Hill Preserve Hiking Trails - Protecting more than 3 miles of oceanfront on the Gulf of Mexico, Topsail Hill Preserve State Park has an extensive day hiking trails system with over 15 miles of hiking.
- Topsail Hill Preserve State Park - With one of Florida's most beautiful sweeps of beach, Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is a linear preserve with tall dunes along three miles of shoreline.
- Tucker Bayou Trail - At Eden Gardens State Park, the Tucker Bayou Trail starts and ends at the Tucker Bayou picnic area and leads you through dense forests above the bayou