by Sandra Friend and John Keatley
Foreword by Jim Kern
Founder of the Florida Trail
Afterword by Carlos Schomaker
President of the Florida Trail Association
Edited by Linda “Earthworm” Patton
Botanical expertise by Rick Ehle
Published by Watula Press
Printed in the United States
9×12″, 228 pages, full color
725 color images
79 black & white images
CELEBRATING FIFTY YEARS
It starts in a swamp, and ends on a beach. It has no mountains, but it is the most botanically diverse trail in the United States. The Florida Trail stretches 1,400 miles across two time zones in a single state. In 1966, a small group of trailblazers started painting blazes in several Florida locations to provide Floridians with a place to go backpacking. Fifty years later, the statewide Florida Trail, a ribbon of federally-protected footpath between the Big Cypress Swamp and Pensacola Beach, provides day hikers and backpackers access to an extraordinary array of Florida habitats, primitive campsites, and unique natural destinations across Florida’s public lands. This commemorative retrospective of Florida’s National Scenic Trail shares the stories of those who have played a part in building, maintaining, and experiencing this national treasure, and recounts the paralleling history of the volunteer organization created to develop the trail, the Florida Trail Association.
SAMPLE PAGES (Click to Enlarge)
INSIDE THE BOOK
Among the many pages of history, photos of the trail and its builders, and stories from hikers and FTA members, you’ll also find:
- A full page 2016 map of the Florida Trail.
- A section devoted to the sections of the Florida Trail, with contemporary images.
- A photo gallery of all Florida Trail System trails, with GPS coordinates to trailheads.
- A bibliography of all books written about the Florida Trail.
- Photos and stories from the first hikers to walk end-to-end on the Florida Trail.
- Photos and stories from Florida Trail thru-hikers.
- Full rosters of recipients of FTA’s top awards: Cornelia Burge Award, John Weary Trail Worker Award, and Lifetime Achievement Award
- A photo gallery and timeline for all FTA Presidents.
- Historic maps, dating back as far as 1969
- A photo gallery of 16 years of Florida Trail themed quilts by Linda Benton.
- A list of all FTA Chapters and when they were established.
- Images of most of the patches issued by the Florida Trail Association.
- A six page index, which includes everyone we were able to identify in photos.
PLACE YOUR ORDER
UNITED STATES ADDRESSES ONLY. If you reside at a foreign address please contact us directly so we can work out shipping cost, tariffs, and information needed for customs forms.
FOR ORDERS OF MULTIPLE BOOKS place multiple orders separately to the same address and we will work out the least expensive method to ship to you and refund you the difference (Two books fit nicely in a Priority Mail box). Volume discounts on cover price are not available due to the limited supply of this commemorative book.
HARDCOVER. The hardcover edition of The Florida Trail: Florida’s National Scenic Trail is limited to 250 numbered copies signed by the authors. You are welcome to ask for a custom or gift inscription. Please specify below in the order form.
SOFTCOVER. The softcover edition of The Florida Trail: Florida’s National Scenic Trail is limited to 700 copies. These books are shrinkwrapped for added protection to the cover, so they will not be signed in advance unless you specifically request.
Base price of book is $79.95 hardcover, $49.95 softcover. Prices in order form include sales tax plus shipping and handling. Shipping will be via USPS with a tracking number.
ORDER BY CHECK
Don’t like Paypal? Send us a check. Make checks payable to “Florida Hikes.”
$95.00, includes tax and shipping. All hardcovers are signed and numbered. If you want a special inscription please specify.
$57.00, includes tax and shipping. Softcovers are shipped pre-wrapped, so if you want yours signed, please let us know and we’ll open it up to sign it.
Shipping will be via USPS with a tracking number sent to you.
Send your check to: Florida Hikes, PO Box 10046, Cocoa FL 32927
A portion of the profits from this book will be donated to the Florida Trail Association.