As the second largest lake entirely within the United States, Lake Okeechobee is a very unique recreation destination. You won’t find paddling on the lake, but nationally-renowned Fisheating Creek is nearby.
Activities by Map
In addition to the Florida Trail – known as the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail to cyclists – circling the lake, there are quite a few other hiking trails nearby, which you’ll find near the communities of Okeechobee, Lakeport, Moore Haven, Clewiston, South Bay, and Pahokee. You can walk around the lake with a group as part of the annual Big O Hike held every Thanksgiving week.
- Summiting Lake Okeechobee’s High Point (1/22/2014) - In completing an end-to-end hike of the Florida Trail, I knew I’d need to fill a gap or two left behind at the Big O Hike. Despite having walked around Lake Okeechobee several times, I was missing a few miles. During the Big O Hike, the hike begins and ends at trailheads, and in all […]
- The Big O, Differently (12/3/2013) - After a dozen years of attending bits and pieces and often the whole thing, the Big O Hike had become a welcome routine, a time to gather with friends. This year was very different. Being in charge meant having to worry about both the big picture and the details. And worry was the operative word. […]
- Update on Florida Trail closures around Lake Okeechobee (11/14/2013) - While preparing for the Big O Hike, we received the latest map yesterday from the Army Corps of Engineers as to which sections of the Florida Trail are open or closed. As you can see on the map, South Bay to Pahokee has reopened. However, it’s an island between two closure areas, so we continue […]
- Time behind the wheel (1/20/2013) - JK continues around Lake Okeechobee - a part of the trail he's done before on the Big O Hike - as part of the support crew for the FT hikers new to the region.
- Coping with Lake Okeechobee Florida Trail closures (11/25/2012) - For thru-hikers in 2012-2013, closures around Lake Okeechobee along the Florida Trail have made logistics quite a challenge. The Army Corps of Engineers has contractors working along several large segments of the dike, continuing to make it impossible to “do the loop” of 110 miles around Lake Okeechobee without a dangerous amount of roadwalks. More […]
- Aloft (11/18/2012) - It isn’t rare for winds to streak across the surface of Lake Okeechobee, picking up speed as they travel, flowing across the dikes like waves. But some mornings are windier than others, and this was one of them. Clouds blanketed our views of the starry night as dawn grew close, bringing a sunrise with no […]
- Florida Trail closures expand around Lake Okeechobee (11/14/2012) - It’s been more than five years since the Army Corps of Engineers started repairs on the Herbert Hoover Dike in the wake of the 2004-2005 hurricanes, and each year, the project continues to expand in scope. For several years now, it’s been impossible for section hikers to “do the loop” of the entire circle around […]
- Back from the Big O (11/26/2007) - There’s nothing quite so refreshing as unplugging for more than a week … until you return to 500+ emails to deal with. I’ve been enjoying the cool breezes and sweeping views of the Big O Hike this past Thanksgiving week, and although I didn’t walk every step around Lake Okeechobee, I took prime advantage of […]