As Polk County continues to add to its array of natural lands, recreation opportunities are on the increase throughout the region for both hikers and cyclists. Lakeland is a hub for recreation along the central Lake Wales Ridge and into the Green Swamp as well as the Alafia River valley.
Activities by Map
- Tegus establish a foothold in Florida (7/31/2014) - It's big. It's colorful. And it's the newest non-native species to establish breeding populations in Florida. Meet the black and white tegu.
- Central Florida NatureFest (6/17/2014) - Get to know Central Florida's outdoors at the 2014 Central Florida NatureFest, an outdoor and photography festival and expo held in Auburndale from October 24-26, 2014.
- Holloway Park (6/16/2014) - With day hiking and cross country trails, Holloway Park & Nature Preserve is a slice of nature inside the city limits of Lakeland, just off the Polk Parkway.
- Hiking Tampa’s Oak Ridge (2/6/2014) - It was the lack of blazes that caught my eye. Especially at intersections. Here and there, we’d find a diamond marking the route that the equestrian trails followed. But with Lenny leading the way, we simply followed. The Oak Ridge Tract of Lower Hillsborough River Wilderness Area is another in a vast patchwork of lands […]
- Marshall Hampton Reserve opens (9/27/2011) - Polk County’s newest natural land, is, like Circle B Bar Reserve, along Lake Hancock. But this is a much wilder place, where the landscape wasn’t cleared for cattle ranching. The Marshall Hampton Reserve encompasses 1,173 acres and offers 6 miles in two trails of 2.5 and 3.5 miles each. It’s located near the intersection of […]