When hikers follow the Florida Trail around Lake Okeechobee, they walk right into historic Moore Haven to cross the broad Caloosahatchee River. Founded in 1915, Moore Haven was a major commercial center during the dredging of wetlands around the lake and the Caloosahatchee River. It’s now the launch point for outdoor adventures along the vast western marshes of Lake Okeechobee and for sailing down the Caloosahatchee to Fort Myers.
Nearby: Clewiston, Fisheating Creek, Lake Okeechobee, Lake Placid, Okeechobee
Trails and Parks in Moore Haven
- Florida Trail, Moore Haven to Clewiston - On the 11.9 mile stretch of the Florida Trail between Moore Haven and Clewiston, sunrises are spectacular and panoramic views stretch on for miles.
- Fort Center - Explore Fort Center, a pre-Colombian village lost in Florida’s past – and uncovered again by archaeologists – by following this trail in Fisheating Creek WMA.
- Gatorama - Started in 1957 as a roadside attraction to show tourists one of the two Florida experiences they wanted - alligators! - Gatorama still has that funky Old Florida feel.
- Harney Pond Canal Boardwalk - Although short, the Harney Pond Canal Boardwalk at Lakeport offers the best view you'll find of Lake Okeechobee on its western shores - and great birding, too
- Knobby Knee Trail - The Knobby Knee Trail treats you to a sampling of wild and scenic Fisheating Creek and its beautiful cypresses along a 1.7-mile loop trail in Fisheating Creek WMA
- Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail - An overlay on the Florida Trail around Lake Okeechobee, the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail provides a mostly paved cycling and walking route around the second largest lake entirely within the borders of the United States.
- Ortona Mounds - While less than a mile long, the Ortona Mounds Trail in the ranchlands of Glades County takes you back to a time more than 3,000 years ago.