Surrounded by Eglin Air Force Base and Choctawhatchee Bay, Niceville provides quick access to outdoor recreation on the water and in the woods without the beachfront crowds found to its south. It’s home to one of the prettiest public campgrounds in Florida, at Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park.
Nearby: Crestview, Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Freeport
Trails and Parks in Niceville
- Florida Trail, Eglin East - This 45 mile segment of the Florida Trail through Eglin Air Force Base traverses ravines and old growth forests, an excellent destination for backpacking in Florida's Panhandle.
- Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park - It's hard to believe that Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park was once a bombing range! Thank US Air Force Colonel Fred Gannon for the transformation of this upland area hugging the shoreline of Rocky Bayou in Niceville.
- H.A. Laird Park - With a boardwalk paralleling Four Mile Creek, Harry A. Laird Park is a quiet stop to enjoy a short walk tunneling into the forest at this small City of Freeport park.
- Rocky Bayou Hiking Trails - Hugging the shoreline of Rocky Bayou, an important aquatic preserve, Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park near Niceville has one of the prettiest campgrounds in the Florida State Park system.
- Turkey Creek Nature Trail - A broad boardwalk trail that showcases a clear, healthy tannic stream, the Turkey Creek Nature Trail is a family park in Niceville where tubing is part of the fun.