An agricultural community along the shores of Lake Jesup, Oviedo has a string of natural lands offering interesting hikes and off-road biking. Add in the Florida Trail, which intersects the heart of historic downtown Oviedo, and public lands that buffer the Econlockhatchee River, and Oviedo can lay claim to easy access to a wide diversity of outdoor recreation, including backpacking trips and paddling trips.
Activities by Map
- Geocaching Econ River Wilderness Area (8/5/2014) - Andy and Tina take a wander through Econ River Wilderness Area in Oviedo in search of a geocache and discover natural wonders along the way
- Hiking along the Econlockhatchee River from Snow Hill Rd (5/23/2014) - A wildlife-rich experience by one of our readers while hiking along the Econlockhatchee River makes you want to just get outside!
- Biking the Flagler Trail South (7/8/2013) - While biking the Flagler Trail from Geneva Wilderness to Snow Hill Road, John discovers a few useful lessons in being prepared for what can happen on a bike ride through the woods
- Cross Seminole County (2/13/2013) - JK finishes up his last Florida Trail miles in Seminole County as he continues to fill in the blanks on a section hike of the statewide Florida Trail.
- Hiking the Cross Seminole Trail (1/30/2013) - A hike along the Cross Seminole Trail - which the Florida Trail follows - through Oviedo and Winter Springs means an introduction to suburbia in the Orlando metro.
- Black Hammock (1/20/2011) - Taste a bit of Old Florida at the crazy quilt of outdoors and dining that is Black Hammock Fish Camp along Lake Jesup.
- Citrus time in Oviedo (1/18/2010) - he warming effect of Lake Jesup, shallow and broad, helps to preserve the fruits of growers labor in Oviedo. Buy local citrus!
- Lake Mills Park a quiet retreat (7/31/2009) - Lake Mills Park in Chuluota has a little bit of everything outdoorsy, from ancient trees to picnic tables by the lake to a nice campground in a scrub forest.