Sarasota is known for its beaches, and has coastal hiking trails that show off Sarasota Bay and the estuaries. Inland, however, is a large swath of natural lands protecting the Myakka River floodplain, including Myakka River State Park, which has a four-day backpacking loop amid wide open prairies and oak hammocks.
Activities by Map
- Tegus establish a foothold in Florida (7/31/2014) - It's big. It's colorful. And it's the newest non-native species to establish breeding populations in Florida. Meet the black and white tegu.
- At Spanish Point (12/7/2013) - At Spanish Point, scents hang heavy in the morning air: a moonflower in the act of closing for the day, the sweetness of citrus blossoms, the purple morning-glory clambering over mangroves, the brush of salt breezes.
- How to backpack Myakka State Park (11/10/2011) - With 39 miles in four loops, the Myakka Hiking Trail at Myakka River State Park in Sarasota is one of the state’s finest destinations for a weekend or long weekend holiday hike. I frequently get asked about places backpackers can go during hunting season – deer season starts very soon throughout Central Florida – and […]
- Oscar Scherer adds second ADA-compliant trail (5/26/2010) - From our friends at Oscar Scherer State Park: A low-key groundbreaking on April 15 marked the official start of the second ADA-compliant trail at Oscar Scherer State Park, according to Russell Delaney, president of the Friends of Oscar Scherer Park, Inc. One of 100 citizen support organizations (CSO) in Florida’s park system, the Friends are […]
- Get outdoors at Oscar Scherer State Park (8/19/2009) - It’s summer, but that shouldn’t stop you from playing outdoors. Down in the quiet town of Osprey between Sarasota and Venice, you can see their namesake bird along South Creek at Oscar Scherer State Park. The extensive trail system gets you deep into Florida scrub-jay habitat, but a summer morning is best enjoyed with a […]