A crossroads at the southeastern corner of Osceola County, Yeehaw Junction is best known for its unusual name, which springs from Florida’s frontier past. Cattle drives once regularly passed through, headed south along the Kissimmee River. The landmark Desert Inn and an annual bluegrass festival are the hallmarks of this tiny community in ranching country.
Trails and Parks near Yeehaw Junction
- Florida Trail, Three Lakes WMA - At Three Lakes WMA / Prairie Lakes Unit, the Florida Trail traverses one of the largest expanses of open prairie in the Southeast, the Kissimmee Prairie.
- Fort Drum Marsh - Fort Drum Marsh Conservation Area covers more than 20,000 acres, but this hike zeroes in on 3 miles in two loops - at Horseshoe Lake and Hog Island - near Yeehaw Junction.
- Kilpatrick Hammock Trail - For a small sample of a habitats found in and around the hammocks that dot the vast Kissimmee Prairie, hike the Kilpatrick Hammock Trail at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park
- Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park - Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park protects a remnant of what was once the great Indian Prairie stretching to Lake Okeechobee, a mosaic of wet and dry grasslands where wildflowers flourish.
- Florida Trail along the Kissimmee River (11/12/2014) - The move of the Florida Trail to the east side of the Kissimmee River is the longest and most significant trail relocation seen in many years. As it changed in December 2013, the new route is not included in The Florida Trail Guide, so please print these details to replace what is in your book […]
- Nine more nights in Primrose (4/1/2014) - With our first Primrose trip of 2014 behind us, we are starting to see how snowbird RVers live here in Florida. And it's a bit different than those of us who prefer to have a little outdoors with our camping.
- Prairie Reflections (2/20/2014) - Slipping into Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park in the early morning hours of our second day of backpacking, you could feel the distinct change from Starvation Slough. No more fenceline keeping us off a rancher’s property. Wide open spaces. And not a lot to go on. It was good Lori was with us. I kept […]
- New Kissimmee section lock crossing now open (2/13/2014) - As of February 10, the following lock crossing procedure is in place for hikers crossing the new section of the Florida Trail along Kissimmee River between KICCO WMA and Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park: 1) Contact Kim Willis at SFWMD one week in advance of your planned arrival date at 800-432-2045 x3333 or by email. […]