For an immersion into the soul of ancient Florida, plan a paddling trip down Fisheating Creek. This wild and scenic waterway wends its way south through a puzzle of dense cypresses from of Lake Placid towards Lake Okeechobee, but one section – Cowbone Marsh – is too thick with plant life to allow passage. You can access the creek near Lake Okeechobee to paddle upstream. Several land-based trails let hikers explore this amazing landscape as well.Nearby: Arcadia, Lake Placid, Moore Haven, Lake Okeechobee
Trails and Parks near Fisheating Creek
- Florida Trail, Lakeport to Indian Prairie - 11.9 miles. In the sweep of the Herbert Hoover Dike past Lakeport, the Florida Trail overlooks the vast western marshes of Lake Okeechobee
- Florida Trail, Okeechobee - 112.8 miles. Looping around one of America's largest lakes, the Okeechobee section of the Florida Trail provides panoramic views from atop the Herbert Hoover Dike.
- Fort Center - Explore Fort Center, a pre-Colombian village lost in Florida’s past – and uncovered again by archaeologists – by following this trail in Fisheating Creek WMA.
- Gatorama - Started in 1957 as a roadside attraction to show tourists one of the two Florida experiences they wanted - alligators! - Gatorama still has that funky Old Florida feel.
- Harney Pond Canal Recreation Area - Discover uniquely wild panoramas along Lake Okeechobee with a walk on this paved trail in Lakeport
- Knobby Knee Trail - The Knobby Knee Trail treats you to a sampling of wild and scenic Fisheating Creek and its beautiful cypresses along a 1.7-mile loop trail in Fisheating Creek WMA