On the shores of the Indian River Lagoon, Sebastian is well-known for its excellent saltwater fishing, particularly on the jetties at Sebastian Inlet. The barrier islands host the nation’s first National Wildlife Refuge, Pelican Island, and an array of public beaches and natural lands offering places to paddle and wander.Nearby: Melbourne, Vero Beach
Trails and Parks in Sebastian
- Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge - Stretching from Melbourne Beach to Sebastian, this refuge protects sea turtle nesting grounds along the Atlantic Ocean
- Barrier Island Sanctuary - Home to a gentle 1-mile loop hike through coastal habitats, Barrier Island Sanctuary is a gateway to Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge, with an informative oceanfront coastal biology center.
- Centennial Trail - Designed the first Federal Bird Reserve in 1903, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge celebrated its century mark by creating this short, scenic, accessible trail for birding
- Fellsmere Trailhead Preserve - Immediately west of Interstate 95 at the Sebastian/Fellsmere exit, Fellsmere Trailhead Preserve provides a nature break for travelers and a trailhead for recreation
- Pelican Island NWR - The birthplace of the National Wildlife Refuge system, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge protects more than 5,400 acres along and in the Indian River Lagoon off Sebastian
- Sebastian Inlet State Park - One of few places where the Indian River Lagoon mingles with the Atlantic Ocean, Sebastian Inlet is the central feature of Sebastian Inlet State Park, which protects the tips of both barrier islands
- St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park - Cut in two by Interstate 95 south of Melbourne, St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park spans 35 square miles across two counties, protecting a mosaic of habitats for wildlife, particularly the Florida scrub-jay.
- The Trans-Florida Central Railroad Trail - If you've seen the prominent Trans-Florida Central Railroad Trail over Interstate 95 at Fellsmere, you've probably wondered about it. Here's what we found when we stopped for a ride.
- Viera Wetlands - A prime Space Coast destination for birding and wildlife photography, Viera Wetlands is a man-made habitat perched on the edge of the St. Johns River floodplain