Established around Nine Mile Pond in 1884, Belleview is one of the older communities in Marion County.
With the Cross Florida Greenway hugging its northern boundary, and the famed Santos Trails for mountain bikers, it’s a destination for outdoor recreation. It’s also a Florida Trail Gateway Community, within walking distance of the Florida Trail at Santos.
Trails and Parks near Belleview
- Carney Island Conservation Area - At Carney Island, the breeze carries the scent of orange blossoms from some of the northernmost remaining commercial groves in Florida. Lake Weir is a palatable presence, even though the trails stick to the oak hammocks
- Cross Florida Greenway - Stretching 90 miles from the St. Johns River near Palatka to the Gulf of Mexico, the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway is a mile-wide recreational corridor with hiking, biking, and equestrian trails as well as paddling and boating access.
- Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway - A prime destination for backpacking and day hiking near Ocala, the Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway stretches 30 miles between Dunnellon and Silver Springs.
- Florida Trail, Land Bridge TH to Santos - Between the Land Bridge Trailhead and Santos, the 7-mile linear section of the Florida Trail winds its way around horse farms to meander through stands of oaks and pines.
- Florida Trail, Santos to Baseline - A 4.5-mile section of the Florida Trail between Belleview and Silver Springs Shores, the Santos to Baseline section on the Cross Florida Greenway is a linear woodland in suburbia.
- Florida Trail, SW 49th to Land Bridge TH - Enjoy rough and rugged terrain topped with a fluffy pine forest on this segment of the Florida Trail on the Cross Florida Greenway, which includes the Land Bridge over I-75.
- Florida Trail, Western Corridor - 241 miles. With segments linking Withlacoochee State Forest and the Cross Florida Greenway, the Western Corridor provides access to wild spaces north of Tampa.
- Ocklawaha Prairie Restoration Area - At Ocklawaha Prairie, east of Lake Weir and south of Marshall Swamp, trails lead to some of the best birding in the region from levees along the extensive marshes of the river basin.
- Santos Trails - With 30 miles of twisting, winding off-road bicycle trails that dip into old limestone pits, the Santos Trails, south of Ocala, are a mecca for cyclists who enjoy riding through the woods.
- Santos Trails - Biking the Santos Trails for the first time this fall, I opted to leave my vintage Cannondale at home and try a rental bike for my first spin through these famed off-road trails south of Ocala.
- Sunnyhill Levee Trail - At Sunnyhill Restoration Area, the Levee Trail provides a scenic stroll atop a levee paralleling both the Ocklawaha River channel and its vast marshes favored by wading birds.
More near Belleview
- Santos Trails (Dec 2016) - Biking the Santos Trails for the first time this fall, I opted to leave my vintage Cannondale at home and try a rental bike for my first spin through these famed off-road trails south of Ocala.
- Santos Trails (Apr 2014) - With 30 miles of twisting, winding off-road bicycle trails that dip into old limestone pits, the Santos Trails, south of Ocala, are a mecca for cyclists who enjoy riding through the woods.
- Cross Florida Greenway History | The Land Bridge (Dec 2012) - A landmark along Interstate 75 near Ocala, the Land Bridge remains one of the more popular destinations for hikers, bikers, and equestrians on the Cross Florida Greenway.
- Cross Florida Greenway History | Finding a Route (Dec 2012) - A visit to the Barge Canal Diggings near I-75 after 13 years of the Florida Trail on the Cross Florida Greenway reveals steady changes over the years, shown in a series of photos.
- Cross Florida Greenway History | Bridge to the Future (Nov 2011) - The history of the Cross Florida Greenway's birth and the building the Land Bridge - and the Florida Trail - across this new stretch of public land in Central Florida in 1999.
- Kenneth Smith Trail dedication (Sep 2011) - At 8 AM this Saturday Oct 1, long-time Florida Trail volunteer Kenneth Smith – the man responsible for the successful routing of the Florida Trail on the Cross Florida Greenway – will be honored by the city of Belleview and his peers at a trail dedication ceremony at the new Kenneth Smith Nature Trail. The …
- Early Birds on the Greenway (Jul 2006) - The Land Bridge section of the Florida Trail has a special place in my heart since I helped create it under the tutelage of Kenneth Smith, 'Mr. Greenway,' who retired last year from being a section leader.