The county seat of Gilchrist County and home to the county’s only traffic light, Trenton is one of the termini for the Nature Coast Trail, a network of paved bike trails on former rail lines through the region, and close to the sweep of the Suwannee River as it flows south. Gilchrist County is known for its access to many springs along the Suwannee and Santa Fe Rivers.
Trails and Parks in Trenton
- Dudley Farm Historic State Park - For a ramble through a authentic, preserved Florida pioneer homestead, visit Dudley Farm Historic State Park, interpreting the life of the 1800s Florida farm family who lived here.
- Fanning Springs State Park - One of the Suwannee River's largest swimming holes is the clear, cool reflecting pool of Fanning Springs, located along the edge of its namesake town.
- Hart Springs - A beauty spot along the Suwannee River north of Fanning Springs, Hart Springs offers swimming, hiking, camping, and cave diving in a rural setting near Trenton.
- Otter Springs - West of Trenton along the Suwannee River, Otter Springs is a second magnitude spring surrounded by clusters of ancient oaks and towering cypress. It is a Gilchrist County Park.
- Watermelon Pond WEA - With more than 4,200 acres in this FWC Wildlife Environmental Area, Watermelon Pond WEA offers both solitude and scenery along a vast system of prairie habitats.