Buffered by the Withlacoochee State Forest and other public lands, Brooksville is the county seat of Hernando County, founded in the 1840s. It has a hilly historic downtown district with numerous antique shops, and is bisected by the 42-mile Suncoast Trail, a long-distance paved bike trail that starts in Tampa.
Trails and Parks near Brooksville
- Chinsegut WEA Big Pine Tract - The southernmost concentration of ancient longleaf pine in America, the Big Pine Tract of Chinsegut WEA is also the second largest contiguous tract of old-growth longleaf pine in Florida.
- Chinsegut WEA Nature Center Tract - At Chinsegut WEA, the Nature Center Tract is a birder’s delight. Sandhill cranes are common in May's Prairie, which the loop trail circles for a 2 mile hike.
- Coast to Coast Trail - Stretching more than 250 miles from Titusville to St. Petersburg, the Coast to Coast Trail (C2C) is a network of paved bicycle paths touching on both rural and urban portions of Central Florida.
- Florida Trail, Cypress Lakes Preserve - At Cypress Lakes Preserve, a 1.7-mile segment of the Florida Trail follows the edge of a series of cypress-lined lakes where ancient trees have survived the ages
- Good Neighbor Trail - Following a former narrow gauge railroad corridor from the main line at Croom to a depot built in 1885 in Brooksville, the Good Neighbor Trail is a 10.1-mile linear paved bike path that is part of the Coast to Coast Trail.
- Hog Island Nature Trail - For a dip into primordial wilderness along the Withlacoochee River, walk the Hog Island Nature Trail at Hog Island Recreation Area in Withlacoochee State Forest
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park - Surrounding a sparkling first-magnitude spring, Weeki Wachee Springs State Park has been a draw for tourists since its mermaids first started wooing visitors in the 1940s.
- Weekiwachee Preserve - Named for the river defining its northern boundary, the 11,000-acre Weekiwachee Preserve, along with adjoining public lands, forms the largest remaining Florida black bear habitat along the peninsular Gulf Coast.