Stretching from the St. Johns River near Palatka to the Gulf of Mexico, the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway is a mile-wide recreational corridor that contains equestrian, mountain biking, hiking, and paved trails.
Trails along the Cross Florida Greenway provide backpacking and day hiking opportunities on both linear and loop routes. The Florida Trail traverses a large portion of its length between Silver Springs and Dunnellon, with a more northerly segment popping out of the Ocala National Forest at the Rodman Reservoir.
Explore the Greenway
- Bridge to the Future: The Marjorie Harris Carr Cross-Florida Greenway - As we walk the mile and a quarter along the Florida Trail through deep woods to the west of Belleview, the low-hanging clouds that threatened the morning with rain now part. Emerging from the forest, we step into bright sun—and a crowd of more than a hundred people, gathered here in a clearing. Thousands of […]
- Cross Florida Greenway – Finding a Route - After several years of working on trail crews in Western Pennsylvania, I returned home to Florida in 1999 looking to find an organization similar to the Keystone Trails Association, which coordinated volunteer efforts on hiking trails. I discovered the Florida Trail Association, and to my delight, an active trail-building effort going on very close to […]
- Cross Florida Greenway -The Land Bridge - A landmark along Interstate 75 near Ocala, the Land Bridge remains one of the more popular destinations for hikers, bikers, and equestrians on the Cross Florida Greenway.
- Dunnellon Trail - Expanding access to the Cross Florida Greenway across the Withlacoochee River in Dunnellon, the Dunnellon Trail provides a new destination for cyclists and hikers to explore the cypress-lined river floodplain.
- Florida Trail, Baseline to Marshall Swamp - Along the Baseline Road to Marshall Swamp section of the Florida Trail in Ocala, enjoy a swath of true urban wilderness, a mile-wide corridor edged on both sides by subdivisions and strip malls.
- Florida Trail, Buckman to Rodman Dam - Paralleling a segment of the Cross Florida Barge Canal, the Buckman Lock to Rodman Dam hike on of the Florida Trail sticks to a high berm for most of the 5.3 miles.
- Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway - A prime destination for backpacking and day hiking near Ocala, the Florida Trail, Cross Florida Greenway stretches 30 miles between Dunnellon and Silver Springs.
- Florida Trail, Land Bridge TH to Santos - Between the Land Bridge Trailhead and Santos, the 7-mile linear section of the Florida Trail winds its way around horse farms to meander through stands of oaks and pines.
- Florida Trail, Pruitt - Switchbacks, scrambles, and a smattering of history - the Pruitt section of the Florida Trail along the Cross Florida Greenway is one of Central Florida's more fascinating hiking destinations.
- Florida Trail, Pruitt to Ross Prairie - Scrambling up and over the historic diggings of the failed Cross Florida Barge Canal, the Florida Trail between Pruitt trailhead and Ross Prairie tunnels through dense hardwoods
- Florida Trail, Ross Prairie to SW 49th Ave - Along this stretch of the Florida Trail through sandhills and scrub, you'll scramble over more historic diggings and see fern-draped limestone boulders scattered through the forest
- Florida Trail, Santos to Baseline - A 4.5-mile section of the Florida Trail between Belleview and Silver Springs Shores, the Santos to Baseline section on the Cross Florida Greenway is a linear woodland in suburbia.
- Florida Trail, SW 49th to Land Bridge TH - Enjoy rough and rugged terrain topped with a fluffy pine forest on this segment of the Florida Trail on the Cross Florida Greenway, which includes the Land Bridge over I-75.
- Grand opening of the Dunnellon Trail - On May 16, 2014, DEP's Office of Greenways & Trails opened a new bridge and trail along the Cross Florida Greenway, the Dunnellon Trail, providing a crucial connector for the Florida Trail.
- Holly Hammock Hiking Trail - A 2.4 mile loop showing off the habitat diversity of Ross Prairie State Forest, this easy hike provides scenic panoramas across the prairie on a mostly shaded trail.
- Marshall Swamp Trail - On this 5.6-mile round-trip hike, follow the Florida Trail on a linear journey through the giant trees of Marshall Swamp without getting your feet wet.
- Ross Prairie Loop - A 3.5-mile loop using blue-blazed connectors and the Florida Trail to circle Ross Prairie, the Ross Prairie Loop shows off the beauty of this prairie on the Cross Florida Greenway.
- Santos Trails - With 30 miles of twisting, winding off-road bicycle trails that dip into old limestone pits, the Santos Trails, south of Ocala, are a mecca for cyclists who enjoy riding through the woods.
- Santos Trails - Biking the Santos Trails for the first time this fall, I opted to leave my vintage Cannondale at home and try a rental bike for my first spin through these famed off-road trails south of Ocala.
- Silver River Connector - Built to showcase the Cross Florida Greenway, the Silver River Connector is a 3-mile round-trip from the Ocklawaha Visitor Center to Ray Wayside Park.
- The Over 80 Across Florida Hike - In 2007, a group of senior hikers made Florida hiking history by successfully completing a backpacking trip from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico via backroads, the Florida Trail, and the Withlacoochee Bay Trail. All were over age 80.