Enjoy outdoor recreation within an easy reach of Mount Dora, a popular destination for antique shopping and the arts. Mount Dora spills down a rolling hill to the edge of Lake Dora, with a very walkable historic downtown district. Home to a grand old Florida railroad hotel, the Lakeside Inn, and nearly a dozen B&Bs, Mount Dora is great for a romantic getaway.
Trails and Parks near Mount Dora
- Ferndale Preserve- On Lake Apopka's western shore, Ferndale Preserve offers some of the finest panoramas of the largest lake in Central Florida - and serious elevation changes.
- Hidden Waters Preserve- With trails that lead you deep into a very large sinkhole, Hidden Waters Preserve in Eustis offers a fascinating hike with elevation changes and interesting terrain
- Oakhill and Prairie Lakes Trails- On the Western Addition trails at Kelly Park, explore scrub and oak hammock habitats where the remains of a spring-fed lake can be seen.
- Palm Island Park- Mt. Dora's best site for birding is Palm Island Park, accessed by a long boardwalk out to a peninsula along Lake Dora canopied by ancient live oaks and tall palms.
- Rock Springs Run Hiking Trail- With more than 12 miles of hiking through the heart of Florida black bear territory, Rock Springs Run State Reserve gets you into the wild outside Orlando.
- Rock Springs Run Reserve State Park- You have a better-than-average chance of spotting a Florida black bear at Rock Springs Run State Reserve, a vast wilderness area in the Wekiva River basin. This is the one park where we've seen the most evidence of our native Florida black bear.
- Trimble Park- A 1.3-mile nature trail at Trimble Park near Mount Dora offers a family-friendly outdoor adventure beneath ancient oaks and cypresses along the shorelines of two lakes
- Trout Lake Nature Center- On 230 forested acres on the northern shore of Trout Lake, Trout Lake Nature Center in Eustis offers a fun network of family-friendly interpretive nature trails.
- Wekiwa Springs Hiking Trail- A 10.2-mile loop through landscapes both vast and intimate, the Wekiwa Springs Hiking Trail shows off the best of nature at Wekiwa Springs State Park.
- Wekiwa Springs State Park- A massive wilderness area on the edge of the Orlando metro, Wekiwa Springs State Park is centered on a first-magnitude spring that bubbles through fissures to pour forth a river lined with jungle-like vegetation.
- Wekiwa Springs Wet to Dry Trail- Starting at the outflow of Wekiwa Springs, the Wet to Dry Trail at Wekiwa Springs State Park offers an easy walk showcasing habitat changes by the waterway.