The county seat of Liberty County, Bristol has a compact, walkable downtown. Immediately to its south is the vast Apalachicola National Forest, which extends an hour’s drive south and southeast.
To the north of Bristol are conservation lands along the Apalachicola River bluffs, including Torreya State Park and lands managed by The Nature Conservancy.
In town, Veterans Memorial Park features a walking trail, a boardwalk into a cypress swamp paralleling a scale model railroad open periodically for rides.
The Florida Trail passes through Bristol as it heads west over the big Trammel Bridge over the Apalachicola River into the Central Time Zone.
On the other side of the bridge is Blountstown, another rural river community.
- 1 Resources
- 2 Trails and Parks near Bristol
- 2.1 Apalachee Savannas Scenic Byway
- 2.2 Apalachicola National Forest
- 2.3 Blountstown Greenway
- 2.4 Camel Lake Loop
- 2.5 Florida Trail, Apalachicola
- 2.6 Florida Trail, Bristol Roadwalk
- 2.7 Florida Trail, Camel Lake to Savannahs
- 2.8 Florida Trail, Central Panhandle
- 2.9 Florida Trail, Jewel to Vilas
- 2.10 Florida Trail, Porter Lake to Jewel
- 2.11 Florida Trail, Vilas to Camel Lake
- 2.12 Garden of Eden Trail
- 2.13 Torreya Challenge Loop
- 2.14 Torreya Hiking Trail
- 2.15 Torreya Rock Creek Loop
- 2.16 Torreya State Park
- 2.17 Trail of Lakes
- 2.18 Weeping Ridge Trail
- 3 Related Articles
- 4 Explore More
Disclosure: As authors and affiliates, we receive earnings when you buy these through our links. This helps us continue to provide public information on this website.
Trails and Parks near Bristol
Summer in the Savannas
Summer is prime time for delicate orchids and carnivorous plants among the bogs of the Apalachicola National Forest, especially along the Apalachee Savannas Scenic Byway.
Florida Hikes for Botanical Beauty
Enjoy Florida’s botanical bounty with this handpicked selection of walks in the woods to see spectacular wildflowers, big trees, and unique habitats throughout the state of Florida.
Here’s what it looks like to walk into and through Bristol along the Florida Trail route, a roadwalk up CR 12 to SR 20 and the Apalachicola River.