Also known as the Northeast Everglades Natural Area or NENA, the Ocean to Lake Greenway spans from Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge in Hobe Sound across portions of Martin and Palm Beach Counties to Lake Okeechobee.
A mosaic of public lands make up this massive greenway, which offers a variety of trails for hiking, cycling, and equestrians. Of these, the Ocean-to-Lake Hiking Trail, part of the statewide Florida Trail, offers more than 60 miles of backpacking through tropical and soggy pine flatwoods habitats.
Trails and Parks along the Ocean-to-Lake Greenway
- East Loop Trail - An immersion into vast pine flatwoods that includes scrambles over ancient dunes, the East Loop at Jonathan Dickinson State Park provides both day hikers and backpackers a delightful getaway.
- Florida Trail, Corbett WMA to Lucky Tract - On this 12.1 miles of the Florida Trail from Corbett WMA to the Lucky Tract campsite, immerse in the full diversity of habitats you'll find in Palm Beach County
- Florida Trail, Lucky Tract to Kitching Creek - 10.7 miles. A hike of extreme contrasts, this segment of the Florida Trail between Loxahatchee Slough and Kitching Creek offers the best of the Loxahatchee River basin.
- Florida Trail, Ocean to Lake - 61 miles. A spur of the Florida Trail that leads from Port Mayaca on the east side of Lake Okeechobee to Hobe Sound Beach on the Atlantic Ocean, treating hikers to unexpected wild landscapes north of West Palm Beach.
- Florida Trail, Ocean to Lake: Corbett WMA - With 11.7 miles of linear hiking in a vast watery wilderness - like Big Cypress and the Everglades - you'd hardly believe this Florida Trail section at Corbett WMA is in Palm Beach County
- Florida Trail, Ocean to Lake: DuPuis Reserve - On this western end of the Ocean-to-Lake section of the Florida Trail, the trail leads you to the heart of DuPuis Reserve, zigzagging through pine forests and cypress domes
- Florida Trail, Ocean to Lake: DuPuis to Corbett - Deep in the heart of the Ocean-to-Lake Greenway, this 9.7 mile segment of the Florida Trail bridging DuPuis Reserve and Corbett WMA is one of the most wild and scenic treks in southeastern Florida
- Jonathan Dickinson State Park - One of South Florida's best backpacking destinations, Jonathan Dickinson State Park encompasses a vast mosaic of ecosystems along the wild and scenic Loxahatchee River
- Kitching Creek Loop - Burrowing deep into the backwoods of vast Jonathan Dickinson State Park, the Kitching Creek Loop showcases the beauty of pine flatwoods and cypress drainages towards the Loxahatchee River.
- Riverbend Park - Protecting the headwaters of the Loxahatchee River, Riverbend Park provides nature, tamed.
- Walking the Ocean to Lake Hiking Trail (2/20/2013) - This week marks the 9th Annual Ocean to Lake Hike. It was a delight to learn last year that the 61-mile Ocean-to-Lake Trail is finally fully complete and open to the public. Last winter, John and I participated in the final three days of the six day group hike; the year before, I’d done the …
- Sweetbay Natural Area (12/15/2008) - A quick visit to Sweetbay Natural Area, which has a trailhead along the Beeline north of PGA Boulevard. Wildflowers put on a grand show in the summer months.
- Hiking the Ocean to Lake Trail (2/18/2006) - Celebrating the annual Ocean to Lake Hike, which got its start when a group of backpackers - Sandra included - scouted the full route from Hobe Sound to Lake Okeechobee to help decide where the trail would go.