On the north shore of Lake Toho, Kissimmee is a historic community at the headwaters of the Everglades, the marshes that feed the Kissimmee River.
Trails and Parks in Kissimmee
- Catfish Creek Preserve State Park- On the ridges at Catfish Creek Preserve State Park, some steep as a ski slope, these elevated slivers of blinding white sand are some of Florida's most ancient hills.
- Catfish Creek Preserve Trails- Allan David Broussard Catfish Creek Preserve State Park isn’t just “a perfect example of Lake Wales Ridge Scrub,” it’s a landscape unlike any other you’ll find in Florida.
- Disney Wilderness Preserve- Managed by The Nature Conservancy, the Disney Wilderness Preserve is a 12,000 acre showcase for habitat conservation amid growing suburban sprawl south of Orlando
- Gatorland- Gatorland is not just a historic Florida attraction but an immersion into what this part of Central Florida used to be, a cypress swamp full of critters.
- Historic Babb Landing- Take an easy walk to Shingle Creek at Historic Babb Landing along a family-friendly trail with great opportunities for birding and outdoor play.
- Lake Lizzie Conservation Area- Hugging the eastern shore of Lake Lizzie, Lake Lizzie Conservation Area encompasses more than a thousand acres along several lakes set among a vast mosaic of prairies, pine flatwoods, and scrub forest. Hikers, cyclists, and equestrians can explore the extensive trail network.
- Lake Marion Huckleberry Island- Providing an easy walk into 8,000 acres of uplands draining into Lake Marion Creek, the trail system on Huckleberry Island at Lake Marion Creek WMA leads 4.2 miles.
- Orlando Tree Trek- Entering a 15-acre grove of pine trees with cables and wood strung up in the air, we knew this wasn't going to be like our normal hikes. Orlando Tree Trek is an aerial attraction, a canopy walk and ziplines for outdoor adventure.
- Reedy Creek Swamp- At the Osceola District Schools Environmental Study Center, trails along Reedy Creek Swamp showcase the beauty of the ancient cypress and floodplain forest.
- Shingle Creek Steffee Homestead- With 1.3 miles of meandering trails through pine flatwoods and along the floodplain of Shingle Creek, the Historic Steffee Homestead portion of Shingle Creek Park makes for an easy family ramble.
- Stompin’ Gator Off-Road Adventure- At the grand opening of Gatorland's new Stompin' Gator Off-Road Adventure, we learned the story of Gator Joe and reconnected with the nature we so love at this long-time Florida nature park.
- Tibet-Butler Preserve- A wildlife haven within earshot of Walt Disney World, Tibet-Butler Preserve provides 3.6 miles of well-kept and gentle hiking trails for family fun.