Surrounded by Eglin Air Force Base and Choctawhatchee Bay, Niceville provides quick access to outdoor recreation on the water and in the woods without the beachfront crowds found to its south. It’s home to one of the prettiest public campgrounds in Florida, at Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park.
Nearby: Crestview, Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Freeport
Trails and Parks in Niceville
- Florida Trail, Alaqua - With significant botanical beauty, rugged climbs, and nice campsites, the Alaqua section of the Florida Trail in Eglin Air Force Base is one of the most scenic parts of the trail statewide.
- Florida Trail, Eglin East - This 45 mile segment of the Florida Trail through Eglin Air Force Base traverses ravines and old growth forests, an excellent destination for backpacking in Florida's Panhandle.
- Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park - It's hard to believe that Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park was once a bombing range! Thank US Air Force Colonel Fred Gannon for the transformation of this upland area hugging the shoreline of Rocky Bayou in Niceville.
- H.A. Laird Park - With a boardwalk paralleling Four Mile Creek, Harry A. Laird Park is a quiet stop to enjoy a short walk tunneling into the forest at this small City of Freeport park.
- Rocky Bayou Hiking Trails - With 3.3 miles of hiking in three loop trails above the shoreline of Rocky Bayou, the trails of Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park offer gentle breezy walks near Niceville.
- Turkey Creek Nature Trail - A broad boardwalk trail that showcases a clear, healthy tannic stream, the Turkey Creek Nature Trail is a family park in Niceville where tubing is part of the fun.