Established in the 1880s and renamed by citrus growers who wanted a marketing angle for their groves, the small town of Frostproof sits atop the Lake Wales Ridge, a ribbon of ancient dunes running down the central Florida pensinsula. Edged by expansive state forests and wildlife management lands, it boasts a large concentration of trails in this southeastern corner of Polk County.
Trails and Parks near Frostproof
- Crooked Lake Prairie- With an interlinking network of loop trails, Crooked Lake Prairie is a refreshing excursion into habitats found on the high hills of the Lake Wales Ridge
- Hickory Lake Scrub- Nestled along the eastern shore of Hickory Lake, Hickory Lake Scrub is a 57-acre preserve showcasing some of the unusual plants you can only find on the Lake Wales Ridge
- Mosaic Peace River Park- At the site of a former phosphate mine, a boardwalk slips through the cypress swamps of the Peace River floodplain at Mosaic Peace River Park near Fort Meade.
- North Loop and Gobbler Ridge Trails- The lesser used of the two long loops at Lake Kissimmee State Park, the North Loop leads you through shady oak hammocks to pine flatwoods above the scrub-lined shore of Lake Kissimmee
- Paynes Creek Historic State Park- Along a quiet shoreline of the Peace River, an interpretive visitor center, the remains of a Seminole War era fortress, and a memorial are important components of Paynes Creek Historic State Park, which memorializes the flashpoint of the Third Seminole War.
- Ridge Audubon Trails- Atop the Lake Wales Ridge, the nature trails at the Ridge Audubon Center in Babson Park do a fabulous job of interpreting the unique flora and fauna of this island of biodiversity.
- SUMICA- With up to 6.2 miles of trails - many of them a bit wet - SUMICA is one of the natural lands in Polk County where birding is especially superb.
- Tiger Creek Preserve- Edward Bok called it "The Jungle," this deeply folded landscape between Tiger Creek and Patrick Creek south of Lake Wales now protected as Tiger Creek Preserve. Explore its fascinating ridges and valleys along this 6.3-mile linear hike between its trailheads, one of many hiking options possible.