While there isn’t a beach on the Gulf of Mexico at Hernando Beach, you can find places to swim, paddle, and hike.
Hernando Beach is a name that a developer placed on a coastal area when canals were carved out of the estuary back in the 1960s. It is a coastal community, but it doesn’t have a beach along the Gulf, just expansive views of the salt marshes. Access is via Shoal Line Rd between Weeki Wachee and Spring Hill, and you’ll find some fine restaurants along it.
Trails and Parks near Hernando Beach
- Bayport Park - Where the highway ends, Bayport Park begins. Perched on the edge of the estuary where the Weeki Wachee River meets the Gulf of Mexico, it offers spectacular sunset views along with its water access.
- Bayport-Linda Pedersen Paddling Trail - Following the Bayport-Linda Pedersen Paddling Trail for 1.7 miles through mazes of needlerush along Florida's Adventure Coast, you're immersed in the sights and sounds of a coastal estuary.
- Jenkins Creek Park - Overlooking the vast estuary that paddlers tackle on the Coastal Paddling Trail, Jenkins Creek Park provides a trail terminus as well as ample space for anglers to drop a line.
- Linda Pedersen Preserve - Offering recreational access to the Jenkins Creek basin and Jenkins Spring, Linda Pedersen Preserve provides fine views and fun activities for families.
- Paddling the Weeki Wachee River - One of Florida's most beautiful paddling trips, the Weeki Wachee River rises from first magnitude Weeki Wachee Springs and winds through lush floodplain forests as it is fed by hundreds of smaller springs along this 5.5-mile paddling run.
- Weekiwachee Preserve - Named for the river defining its northern boundary, the 11,000-acre Weekiwachee Preserve, along with adjoining public lands, forms the largest remaining Florida black bear habitat along the peninsular Gulf Coast.
More near Hernando Beach
- Destination: Adventure (Mar 2019) - Biking, paddling, and even a bit of hiking were in the plans as we explored Florida's Adventure Coast - Hernando County - for activities we could enjoy during warm weather.